Friday, December 14, 2012

Crock Pot Beef Broccoli





I have a heavy heart today. It feels achy, sore and sad. A friends dad passed away coupled with the devastating news about the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.   I watched President Obama begin his speech by stating "we have endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years". He paused  during his speech numerous times & wiped away tears before they rolled down his face. As he held back tears, mine flowed. I knew, then, that the conversation I would have with my children would be difficult. I was tasked with balancing my own emotions of sadness and confusion regarding the tragedy while explaining it to my own elementary aged kids.

I was thankful to receive the mass email from the Superintendent of our local school district with a link to an online resource for talking to children about traumatic news or events. I took the time to read the article before my kids arrived home from school and it provided a great platform for me to work from.  I began asking my kids if they had heard about the tragedy today...they had not.  I explained briefly that a gunman entered a school and fired rounds from a semi-automatic weapon and that there were numerous casualties.  From there, my kids had lots of questions and I remembered the link, "don't provide unnecessary details".  I answered their questions honestly and paused at times. Trying to stay strong for them. For us.

So for now, I will hug my kids a little longer, turn the t.v off,  tuck my smart phone away a little more often and try to really engage in our family experience, as we all try to understand, mourn and process the "whys" of how precious lives were taken away in such a horrific way.




Crock Pot Beef Broccoli


  • 1 pound Beef, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/3 cup oyster sauce
  • 1/2 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups broccoli
  • 3 tablespoon green onions
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • sesame seeds for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients in the crock pot except the rice, broccoli, sesame seeds and green onions.  Set on low for 6 hours.  

Steam broccoli. Place rice on the plates and layer with beef and sauce. Next add cooked broccoli, green onions & sesame seeds. 

Serves: 4 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers Comments