Saturday, October 6, 2012

Steamer Clams in the Ninja Cooking System

Hi friends,

It's been awhile since I've shared with you. Sorry about that. I've been in a bit of a conundrum lately, wanting to write blog posts for you but feeling like what I'm sharing is too personal with too many other lives involved.

Here is what that the daily recipe around here has contained:


  • 1 cup of challenges
  • 1/3 cup of excitement
  • 1/4 cup of change
  • 1 tablespoon of frustration
  • 1 teaspoon of anger
  • a dash of love
  • a sprinkle of support

Thankfully, with all that's been going on lately, I have happy news to share! I accepted a new job that begins in March. I'm thrilled for the opportunity to work with this group & contribute to the organization.  And for the first time in many many moons,  I'm imagining myself at this company for many years to come. Sooo very excited!



To celebrate, I drove the winding, ocean air road along Chuckanut Dr.& visited a long time friend, then paid a visit to one of my favorite places in the area: Taylor Shell Fish Farms. Fresh seafood abound! I purchased a 2 pound bag of clams.








 I received a Ninja Cooking System on my doorstep last week. It was a perk of attending the International Food Bloggers Conference in Portland in August. I've been anticipating its arrival and I've been lurking on my favorite food blogger facebook group sites for weeks to follow the arrival of the Ninja's! Why the enthusiasm?  It's a complete cooking system. I can steam, slow cook, steam roast and fry/stove top cook in one pot. My favorite feature is that I can prepare a complete meal (veggie, protein, starch) in the Ninja in 30 minutes.  Did I mention that Ninja is lined with a non stick surface! Easy to clean!

How to make fresh Steamer Clams in the Ninja:

  • 2 pounds clams
  • 1 cup white dry wine 
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
  • half a yellow onion, diced 
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups of water
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt

1. Place pot in cooking system. Plug the unit into an electrical outlet. Turn the stove top dial to medium.

2. Add oil, onions, garlic and wine. Saute for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3.Add water, sea salt

4. Place roasting rack on top of the onion, water & wine mixture. Place clams inside the roasting rack. Place the lid on top of the Ninja. Set dial to Oven 425 & steam for 7 minutes.  Lift roasting rack out, lean sideways and pour the steamers in the broth. Toss to coat, remove then serve!



What type of seafood have you been enjoying lately?

4 comments:

  1. Love steamers! Can't wait to try this, thanks!

    Chef Perry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chef Perry,

      Thanks for dropping by & leaving a comment. I appreciate it.
      Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I will definitely try this as well! Even with the abundance of fresh seafood here in Southern California, you can't beat the clams & oysters from your area. They're the best! I swing by Taylor's for oysters whenever I'm in "The 'Ham" visiting my good friends -- it's a special place!

    Congrats on the new gig, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Taylor's IS great, huh?! The Bow area is one of favorite spots...they have the tastiest little bakeries and fresh seafood biker bars!

      Delete

Readers Comments