Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Southwest Salad & The 4th of July



Our son asked yesterday, "What is 4th of July?".

We consider ourselves Patriots. We even have a bathroom adorned with proud American flare; framed poster art displaying weapons of the Old West & The History of American Flags,the quintessential Uncle Sam pointing "I Want You for the US Army" & a metal star that says  "I Love the USA".



 His question took me surprise and made me ponder how to answer him properly.  Do I rattle off what little of the Declaration of Independence that I still remember from History class, circa 1989?

The question made me realize that I've got some homework to do. I can't give him the canned little kid answers anymore. He's asking because he's interested and wants to know more (Yay!).  I printed off the Declaration of Independence & plan on leaving on the table.  We'll see where the conversation takes us.

For now, we are preparing our side salads, dips and pita chips to party hop. Today we celebrate both this great country we live in and my super awesome & soon-to-be ripped husband's birthday.

We're thankful to be free. In honor and respect to those that have served or are serving to protect our freedom, Thank You.

Happy 4th of July to You!


Healthy Southwest Salad


  • 2 cans black beans
  • 8 grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 cups corn
  • 2 red peppers, diced
  • 2 serrano peppers, remove seeds and dice
  • 1 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 limes juiced
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 avocado
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together except the avocado as it is delicate.  Last, add the avocado and toss lightly to coat it in the lime juice (this will ensure that it won't turn brown). This salad can be made up to a day in advance.

Serves: 12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers Comments