Friday, December 28, 2012

Sausage Veggie Couscous Soup in the Ninja Cooking System



Do you love the raw e-cards that are flying around the web? If not stop reading here & scroll down to the recipe. You've been warned. I love reading those & enjoy the subsequent belly laugh.  I also get a kick out of the ones that shame their pet. Maybe you have seen the one of a dog with a tag around his/her neck that says "I licked my brothers balls" or "I chewed the face off an antique stuffed panda bear".  Well today its my turn to shame. Not my pet, though.

So this soup is chunky, hearty, flavorful and healthy.  I love this soup. Really. I can eat it for lunch and dinner, then lunch and dinner the next day.  Then the leftovers go in the freezer for another time. But I really shouldn't have leftovers, except that my husband is super duper picky. It's kind of a plague of sorts, for a food blogger, to be so restricted. You see, he is an amazing husband...I love him for sooo many reasons, he is; strong, loving, has an amazing work ethic, a can-do attitude, he's seriously smart, mostly patient, caring dad and the list goes on (and on).  But what he isn't is adventurous in the dining department.

 We were at the Longsdale Market in Vancouver, Canada many moons ago, before marriage & I ordered each of us a bubble tea. He looked at the gigantic straw, the bubble tea, looked at me, took a sip and his face became crazed. Really. He ran for the garbage can and spit it out.

Bubble tea is out, Thai food and Vietnamese Pho are out of the question & as far as couscous goes, that's just simply not happening. It's like a relative to the bubble tea balls, or so he tells me.



So if you love a delicious soup and aren't afraid of the couscous give this one a try.  If you're like my husband, well. I'm sorry, I can't help you today. Alright, I suppose you could substitute the noodles for couscous. Maybe.

Sausage Veggie Couscous Soup


  • 3 mild Italian sausage links, casings removed
  • 3 whole carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cups fresh cauliflower, diced
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli, diced
  • 1 large fire roasted red pepper diced (I usually use the jar variety)
  • 1 can canellini beans
  • 1 cup uncooked pearl couscous (otherwise known as Israel couscous)
  • 8 cups beef broth
  • a few dashes of worcestershire sauce
  • 4 cups water
  • salt and pepper to taste


In the Ninja Cooking System on Stove top high, fry the sausage for about 10 minutes. Break into smaller pieces.  Add onions, carrots, broccoli, & cauliflower. Fry for another 10 minutes.




Add beef broth & water. Place lid on top and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Remove lid, add beans, couscous, red pepper, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Turn the Stove Top dial to medium. Place the lid on top and cook for 15 minutes.

Serves 10 people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers Comments