Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Rice Bowl with Pecans, Green Beans & Oranges

 I was invited by a fellow blogger friend (you can find her at All Day I Dream About Food) last month to develop a recipe that's appropriate for a diabetic diet. You see, it's World Diabetes Day today & to raise awareness and ultimately support for a cure there are many of us developing recipes, taking crisp photos and sharing how diabetes has touched our lives.

My nephew, Austin was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was a preschool aged child. Our good friends son, Ben, was diagnosed as a preschool aged child too. That's the rough thing about this disease. It's touching young children and changing lives forever. My brave nephew and friend Ben have learned to monitor and live successfully. Their strength in the face of adversity is an inspiration. We are hopeful that a cure will come in our lifetime.



Rice Bowl with Pecans, Green Beans and Oranges:


  • 4 cups cooked brown rice
  • 4 cups fresh green beans
  • 2 oranges
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
  • Braggs Liquid Aminos to taste
  • Sea salt to taste

Remove ends from green beans and slice in half. Steam for about 5 minutes. Peel, slice and using a knife, remove the white skin from the oranges. Slice into bite size quarters.

In a bowl, add one cup of brown rice. Next, add one cup of green beans and oranges. Sprinkle with pecans, sea salt and Braggs Liquid Aminos.  Garnish with a whole pecan and serve. Kid friendly, tasty and not just diabetic friendly but it's easy on the budget too!



Our family supports JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation & Team Ben at "Beat the Bridge". Here's a photo from a few years ago:


                                  
                            What cause do you support? 

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, thanks for dropping by for a read! It's always great to meet new bloggy friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of green beans and oranges together. Thanks for all you do to support diabetes awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for participating in this awareness-raising event. My sister has Type I and I myself have to be pretty careful, especially when I'm pregnant, so I've been eating low-carb for nearly five years. New recipes are always a good thing! I don't eat rice anymore, so I would probably sub riced cauliflower. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe looks yummy. I support Juvenile Diabetes as my granddaughter has been diagnosed with it. thanks for the opportunity to peruse your website.

    ReplyDelete

Readers Comments