Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Lemon Coconut Muffins for Brunch


I've survived another day of surfer lingo and even had a few comebacks of my own. I must say, though, that I'm outnumbered and the slang isn't coming naturally for me. What does come naturally is baking.

I have some sort of sinus infection, head cold or allergy thingie going on. Since I refuse to go to the doctor I don't really know what kind of crud it is. What I know for sure is that it's not that bad and it will go away. To help myself feel better I started baking. It is a therapy for me, really. Playing around in the kitchen and hopefully creating a comforting & nourishing baked good for the family and of course for "yours truly".

What I like about this muffin is the soft and fluffy texture with the slightly crunchy tangy top.  It's not too sweet & there isn't any butter in the recipe so I felt a little less guilty as I polished off 3 of these cuties this morning.

How to:


  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup lemon curd from a jar
  • 4 tablespoons toasted unsweetened coconut (for the topping)

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a mixer, add egg, oil, cream & sour cream. Mix well. Slowly add dry ingredients. No need to over mix.

Spoon into a muffin tin lined with muffin papers/liners. Add about 2/3 or 3/4 full to each tin. Next, add a teaspoon size amount of  lemon curd on the top/center of the batter.



Bake on 375 for about 14 minutes.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

Yield: 12 muffins

*Update: These muffins are amazing fresh, please note that as the days go by they get kinda dry. So eat 'em quick!



What makes you feel better when you're not well?


2 comments:

  1. Girl these look amazing! I love muffins, always looking for a new flavor ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend! These are a keeper but I'm adding to the blog post that they are best fresh within a day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Readers Comments