Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hash Brown Cups with Bacon, Cheese & Egg

Did you have a relaxing Thanksgiving or were you hosting and working hard? Each year we celebrate Thanksgiving at my in-laws & this means I don't have much to do.  I make a few pecan pies and bring a few dishes then I get to relax & celebrate! It was a great holiday with good energy, tasty food and lots of enthusiasm.

With Thanksgiving behind us, a little black Friday shopping under my belt & a partly sunny day in the PNW I'm feeling ready to welcome the next holiday. My daughter turned on the radio and to our surprise there were Christmas songs sprinkled among the pop music we enjoy. I lit the "white Christmas" scented Yankee candle & began to remove the Christmas decor bins out of the crawl space.

So much progress around here really reminds me to appreciate the 4 days off of work that my husband has right now. The long weekend also gives us time to stay up to the wee hours of the night and sleep in later than the rising sun. Anytime our house begins waking up after 8am it means we get a brunch menu.

Maybe you'll offer these on your next brunch menu:


  • 4 cups thawed hash browns
  • 7 eggs, wisk in a bowl
  • 7 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped in small pieces
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • Muffin tins
  • *green onions: see note at the bottom

Yield: 16 hashbrown cups

In a bowl, place hash browns, 3/4 cup cheese, oil, salt and pepper. Toss well.  Place mixture in muffin tins     ( I used standard size muffin tins but minis would work well for small hands.) Press down in the center to form a shape similar to a bowl. Bake on 400 for 15 minutes.  Remove.

Place a few tablespoons of egg in each muffin tin. Place a teaspoon amount of bacon on top of the egg. Sprinkle with a bit of cheese and place in the oven on 350 for 12 minutes.

Remove and serve with salsa or ketchup.

*Recipe modification: Hubby says this recipe needs a little green onion. I agree and recommend sprinkling on some of the muffins (unless your kids like green onions).

Are you prepping for the holidays or holding out until December?

4 comments:

  1. Well, you already know my answer to that question!

    Love these little cups. I make a version of these often - so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yes, I do :-)

      This ones a keeper, for sure. I love that I can customize them based on my families preferences.

      I need to check out your version too!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to try out this recipe! I think my husband is going to thank me (and you, too)!

    ReplyDelete

Readers Comments