Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grilled Shrimp Jicama Salad



Day 21 of Insanity.  Tuesday's are our day off and as usual I miss the workout. The nutrition side of things is going a tad better but I'm going to flashback quickly to Christ the King Elementary School Church in the 3rd grade (no, the green plaid uniform is not included). I'm here to confess that I have eaten chocolate & unlike that 3rd grader who was so bashful and unassertive, I'm here to say that I will be eating it again. Sorry Shaun T. there are just some foods that I must eat.  I'm digging deep, alright. Digging deep into the tub of Kirkland Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond Clusters! 2 clusters a day keeps me sane!

I found inspiration for this recipe at one of my favorite sites, Allrecipes.com.  Here's the link to a different version of this salad, named Shrimp, Jicama and Chile Vinegar Salad.

My version:


  • 2/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup agave
  • 2 tablespoons minced serrano chiles (seeded)
  • 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups peeled and shredded jicama
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pound shrimp
  • 2 tomatoes sliced

In a medium sized bowl, mix rice vinegar, agave, serrano chiles, salt, pepper and cilantro. Remove about half of the marinate and save it for the salad.




 Mix well then add shrimp & toss. Allow the shrimp to marinate for 2-4 hours (or all day).

Soak wood skewers in water for 30 minutes.

Remove marinated shrimp and place on wood skewers. Grill on medium for 6-8 minutes.

Take shredded jicama and mix with the remaining marinate.

Slice tomato's and serve with salt and pepper





No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers Comments