These little buggers are so damn good! Sorry, without the damn it's just not the same. I really had to go there because these bites are a chocolaty, caramely, sweet and salty dream come true. Here's how to do it & yes, you'll want to do it!
Yield: 48 minis
- Mini muffin tins
- 48 mini paper liners
- 48 caramels ( I chose to use whole caramels, however, you can easily slice them in half and get amazing results)
- 4 ounces of dark chocolate (I use the pound bars sold at Trader Joe's)
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla (Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup flour
- PAM spray
Salted Caramel Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 15 caramels
- 2 heaping tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- sea salt to taste (I used 2 teaspoons)
- 1 ounce of dark chocolate (Trader Joe's)
- Zester or Grater
Preheat oven to 325. Line mini muffin tin with paper liners. Spray liners with PAM
Brownie: In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter and chocolate for about one minute. Stir then place back in the microwave for an additional minute as needed. Mix well. Pour into an electric mixer. Add sugar and mix for one minute. Add eggs, mix for 30 seconds. Add vanilla, salt and flour. Mix well.
Place a teaspoon size amount in the liner. Place the caramel on top. Place another teaspoon size amount of batter on top of the caramel. No need to cover the caramel neatly. It will melt and fold in properly.
Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool.
Frosting: Place caramels in a microwave safe bowl and add the heavy cream. Microwave for 30 seconds, remove, stir then microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until combined and allow to cool down for about 5 minutes.
Place the butter in an electric mixer. Mix for 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, a bit at a time. Add the caramel. Mix well. Add salt to taste. Place in a pastry bag and decorate.
Garnish: Using a zester, grate the chocolate over the bites.
Recipe adapted from http://bakeitinacake.com/recipes/franssaltedcaramelcupcakes
I modified the steps, cooking temperature, added PAM spray, used dark chocolate rather than unsweetened chocolate & substituted bourbon vanilla for vanilla.