Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Creamy Pasta with Chicken, Mushrooms, Basil and Sun Dried Tomatoes in the Ninja Cooking System


My quads are still on fire. My son is quoted as saying to me  "If I had a nickle for every minute I waited for you I'd be rich".   Spending 3 days at Mt. Baker over a 9 day time frame is not for the timid. I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that I can't keep up with my kids on the slopes or that even if I could keep up my body laughs at me in rebellion for even trying. The Baker bug has infected this family. Any free day on the calendar is penciled in for the pilgrimage to "go east".



We pack our lunches & vita waters in the National Guard camo backpack & plan a dinner meal to be warm and ready upon return. A creamy pasta with chicken, mushrooms, basil and sun dried tomatoes in the Ninja Cooking System  it is. With the addition of Shiitake mushrooms this meal is earthy and nourishing.




  • 1 pound of chicken, diced
  • 1 pound of pasta, cooked and drained
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup of fresh basil
  • 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
  • 2 cups heavy cream or milk
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, rinse and toss in a tablespoon of olive oil. Place in a container in the fridge.

Place chicken, garlic, onion powder, chicken broth, salt and pepper in the Ninja Cooking system on Slow Cooker, Low for 8 hours. Once the 8 hours is up your Ninja will set to keep on warm.

About 30 minutes before dinner time, set the Ninja to stove top medium. Add fresh basil, mushrooms, red pepper flakes & sun dried tomatoes to the cooked chicken. Cover. Saute for about 10 minutes or so.

Add heavy cream, cheeses & cooked pasta. Toss well & cook for a few more minutes. 

Enjoy!

Serves: 6


4 comments:

  1. What a delicious meal to return to after skiing. Glad to see you and the Ninja are getting quite the workout!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I have sort of a new addiction to the Ninja as you can tell from my posts-ha! My husband now says "The Ninja AGAIN"? I think he's just disappointed that I'm not grilling a steak for him :-)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you are having fun cooking with the Ninja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I am! I haven't branched out to baking yet...not quite brave enough :-)

      Delete

Readers Comments